Sunday, September 19, 2010

Crafting Writers, k-6 by Hale

Personal reflection:

*I do find writing to be a craft that can be taught and learned. It is much easier to learn writing than it is to teach a group of 20+ students. Being a person of few words, I especially struggle with explaining why a piece of writing is good. I am an avid reader and patient listener, I just can't come up with my own words to say and write! However, Crafting Writers reminded me that my love for reading and drawing encouraged me to become a writer because I had inspiration.

*Chapter 6 focuses on primary writing and advocates drawing in promoting writing skills. I had the chance to substitute teach in a kindergarten room on Thursday and Friday. On both days, the students were allowed to illustrate anything of their choice while I would go around writing in a caption when they were nearly done. I was pleased with how much thought everyone put into constructing their sentences. Hale takes it further by analyzing some examples and pulling out how certain details of the picture lead to detailed writing.

*Author and illustrator Patricia Polacco is used to discuss specific components of the craft. If you have not ever read Chicken Sundays, you are missing out on excellent literature. Hale specifically advises teachers to collect examples from a book that students wouldn't mind rereading.
*For educators who don't have time to read through the entirety of Crafting Writers, I still recommend having this book handy because it includes a useful appendix and lists of examples.

5 comments:

  1. I have had the same problem, trying to explain what makes a story good or even a style is often beyond my grasp as a reader and writer. While dissecting a sentence to look for a a formula isn't always the answer it is at least a way to pinpoint the specific craft our favorite stories have used to come to life in our minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely. I love to read, but the writing thing is a struggle for me. I liked how Hale went through the process of figuring out what made a sentence or paragraph good. It was so helpful. I'm not sure when I'll get time to sit down and do that for my own meager writing, but it's now on the radar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny! I think that it is easier to teach a group of 20+ students to write than it is for me to learn to become a good writer. I feel like, as a person who was not taught to write in this way and was consequently hated to write her whole life, that I am getting a new chance to learn through my students!

    I agree that teachers should have this book as a reference. I think a hard part about teaching craft is picking out the small pieces to teach. The lists and tables in this book are an extremely helpful support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree this book is a great reference and find the book very useful in troubleshooting in my writing my future students writing. My writing was a large focus later in life which I think could be stronger if I would have seen some of the categories like in chapter 6. Also, I was not pushed to try new ideas or styles in my writing so my writing lacks variety and depth. I am a list person so the tables and lists of the components in the different chapters are a great start for my building of ideas for writers workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea,
    Hale wrote not to show our students the list. I'm like, "hello! All of these tables and examples would have been so useful for me to see as a beginning writer!" LOL Glad I saw this now rather than never.

    ReplyDelete