Sunday, September 12, 2010

Response to Reading

Sound Systems by Anna Lyon and Paula Moore
Reading this book gave me ideas in how I would want to implement literacy into my classroom. First of all, the book informed me that young students read little by little because the brain relies on patterns. I always assumed our mind functioned by rules. Phonics highlight certain letters, sounds, and words to create a pattern children establish and apply to in identifying unfamiliar vocabulary. How readers pick up on these is to look and hear the sounds being made. Using visual skills helps to start detecting patterns.
Reading aloud will always be something an elementary teacher does. It shows "clear demonstration of the reading process." The authors also remind teachers to use tradebooks and I couldn't agree more. A second grader isn't compelled to read if all he ever hears about is Dick and Jane. I worked with a 10-year-old who learned how to read and write his name in the third grade. Suggestions from this book such as decorating the classroom with print-rich materials and students writing their own names make me question what teachers around the country are doing. 

Every Mark on the Page: Educating Family and Community Members about Young Children's Writing.
I highly recommend this article for educators and parents. Many of the highlighted information may seem like common sense, but people under pressure tend to form high and unrealistic expectations. From my observations with babies, I believe that children do possess a natural desire to learn. They are eager to examine books and piece together letters. Reading becomes a chore when adults began criticizing or questioning the student's attempt to read, write, and talk. We take for granted what a child does know when he hands in a written assignment. The fact that s/he has tried to write something down demonstrates using symbols to communicate. Cusumano reminds everyone to focus on strengths and not weaknesses.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your point from the article that we as educators need to focus on students strengths not weaknesses. It's a great thing for parents to remember as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana - I love your comment about babies as learners. I think we do overlook this oftentimes even while we say "oh he/she is so smart! look what they can do!" Cusunamo definitely gave me a lot to think about regarding my own actions toward kids in my life, and your observation about babies makes me think of an example of just the type of pattern learning both readings talk about. My friends 1 year old daughter Lila was playing on the floor one day last month while her mom and I were lying opposite of each other on either side of her talking. I was wearing a silver ring that closely matched the type of bracelet Lila's mom was wearing. To our amazement, Lila got our attention a couple of minutes into our conversation by first touching my ring, then her mom's bracelet, then my ring again and babbling at us in a questioning tone (she's not really talking yet). We were all "smart baby!" and really she is, but her observation and response was actually very common - her brain recognized the pattern and she learned and expressed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you pointed out we should focus on strengths on weakness because it hits Cusumano's article on the head. I do believe we should praise a child for their effort initially, but it is human nature to want more. I think finding that balance will be difficult for myself because I was raised using the opposite educational style. Not to say I will not praise my children and that I wasn't praised for my work either, but it will be innate in me to point out errors and expect perfection to a degree (personal best).

    ReplyDelete