Saturday, October 30, 2010

More about the MGP

The two chapters I read from Camille Allen were What a Character: Bringing Subjects to Life and Explore the Arts: Expanding Kids' Thinking. Both chapters were provided some interesting insight on how to go about writing creatively or presenting research findings.

I survived reading the example used to demonstrate what she meant by "show, don't tell" when a student is trying to write about a character. I'm curious to read the entirety of  Bailey White's book Mama Makes Up Her Mind (1995) because I struggle with characterization. I loved how I could visualize the mom and scenario based on vivid description.  The specific story, "Finger" would be especially attention catching and does allow students to find out about the main character based on actions and dialogue. 


With students in grades 3+, I would like to try the observation activity in which a student has ten minutes to do a quick write-up on a person they don't know. This would allow them to take notice of other people, make inferences, and reflect on what they saw.  This is an exercise on descriptive detail, because instead of writing that the person was tall, they'd need to elaborate how on this individual's height for the reader to visualize. 

I would definitely create a class character with any age group. It is a great way for everyone to brainstorm collaboratively before  working on individual stories.  The teacher asks 34 questions on a character that the class creates together. Then, each student uses that information to write a story about the character they've come up with. 

Chapter 7 seems to offer the type of pieces a multigenre paper could include. While I didn't find any new ideas for my topic (Readers Theater), I thought about why I enjoyed the process of making the two video clips I have so far.  I still had to do my research and could not fabricate my findings, but I was learning as I wrote scripts, filmed, and worked with actors. I had to think about what needed to be said, create a role for each actor, and explain to participants what my topic was about. I think that playing music, illustrating, and building artifacts are beneficial, but I wouldn't press it on students. I was in a project-based classroom in fourth grade and at the time, hated having to make poster boards and act on stage as our assignments.  My focus was no longer on the information I presented, but on how my costume looked compared to peers, or what materials were I to use. If a teacher wants her students to use "arts to expand thinking", class time and resources need to be provided.  Not every kid has access to a flip video, nor does every child have parents who are willing to take the time and money needed buy materials. 

On the contrary, I am all for doing the MGP as a college grad student. I hated it from grades 4-12, but I now love being able to get creative and fun with my assignments.  Realistically, which national university professor would accept a research paper that was printed with musical notes or stapled onto a diorama?

8 comments:

  1. I never thought about how doing a MGRP may cause social problems with children based on lack of materials. It's sad to think that a child might dress up with an amazing costume where another kid writes a poem and the class is more interested in the costume. If teachers provided the materials it would be less of a social problem most likely. I guess we will have to see if we decide to do this in our classroom someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The great thing for me about Bailey White's story was that it felt like it were being told to me by a friend who was there. I've met some great storytellers among children in the past but very few good storywriters. I wonder how to help students bridge the gap between telling a friend about something funny that happened to them and writing that same story in an equally compelling way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You brought up a really good point about project based assignments and the importance of making sure that the materials are available to all of the students. I also ran into situations as a student where other parents would make their child's costumes or help them make elaborate projects while I was left to make my own and thought it was so unfair. Also, some students will be reluctant to bring their projects to life and would prefer just turning in a written report. I'm not sure how to help those students who are not comfortable with being in front of the class, perhaps that is when we can be flexible with our multilevel assessments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I love the idea of having an artistic addition to an MGRP, I can see where the lack of resources can come into play. Maybe it needs to be stressed that all additions be made by the student (without parental involvement), or even made by the student while at school. I was able to help a 6th grade class put together MGRP-like presentations about the Roman Empire, and the entire thing was done by small groups at school, so everyone had equal responsibility and access to resources. There are just so many possibilities out there; maybe you just have to decide on a class-by-class basis as to what you feel the students will be capable of doing. But it sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I just saw an application for a top MBA school that included an open-ended question [something like "Tell us about yourself"] through an essay in the form of graphics, photos, etc. It's a case where students who are comfortable in thinking in multiple genres will certainly have an edge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that it is important that all students have access to equal resources so that project learning does not become a competion like those science fair projects I remember from elementary school where some of the parents end up taking over and the "haves" had great projects and the "have nots"..well not so much. MGRP projects should be creative and inventive but not exclusive. A good point to keep in mind. Thaks Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I would definitely create a class character with any age group. It is a great way for everyone to brainstorm collaboratively before working on individual stories."
    I agree with you. I think it was a great project to open up the mind and get creative. Watching someone you don't know and writing about them is also a project that doesn't need any extra resources. No matter where you live or who you are you can see a "stranger" to write about it.
    Love it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also struggle with characterization. I found the observation activity somewhat challenging when faced with a time limit. However, once I stepped away from an idea started to come to mind. For example, in Christa’s paragraph, the comment, “He wasn’t a very big man.” might include comparisons or examples such as, “He made the chair look small.” Or “he found he could not change the light bulb even if he used a chair.”

    ReplyDelete