Thursday, November 18, 2010

A much-needed critique (2 parts)

This is my second class as a preservice teacher in which I'm asked to think about the "secret education" embedded in cartons and movies. It makes me consider the kind of information my current students and future kids are receiving. I don't believe in remaining passive, especially after reading this profound quote I read:
True death equals a generation living by rules and attitudes they never questioned and producing more children who do the same.

The truth is never easy to face, but we all must confront reality at some point. Santa isn't real, yet we don't hear adults explaining the sad story of St. Nicholas until they are old enough. Critiquing cartoons and society with students requires the teacher to use discretion. I hope that everyone who enjoyed what they watched as a child will be wise enough to reflect. I probably wouldn't stand over a girl watching Sleeping Beauty and point out the negatives messages she's receiving. Can you imagine how angry I'd react if someone told me to stop watching Real Housewives of Atlanta because I was feeding myself trash? Yes, women were portrayed as helpless damsels in distress while looking good for a male hero. On the other hand, they all had admirable traits of being friendly, optimistic, and emotionally strong.

I like how this author encouraged her own students to take action by having them write publicly to teach them the power of writing, too. She emphasized that they couldn't vent and needed to have strong supporting evidence. I came across a situation in which I'm compelled to act upon but don't know how:
*****************************************************************************
I've been thinking about the power of visual communication ever since I started evaluating textbook images. The first-grade classroom I'm observing is doing a LA/Social Studies unit on different occupations. Their illustrated story about "The Night Worker" depicts a blue-collar father and son who are racially ambiguous. I think the artist and publisher made a good choice, though I would have liked to seen a girl following her dad to work. However, the next visual in the lesson was a large photograph of a white male doctor, while smaller pictures were of minority women in technician or nurse roles. Later, the students listened to a tape while reading through a new book on jobs. The sole photograph of a black man showed him as the school-crossing guard!

Also on display this week is a set of books on different jobs and upon further inspection, 9 out of 12 books were on blue-collar jobs. An entire book was devoted to the school-crossing guard position and the cover model was another middle-aged black man! They could have used that book to discuss a job involving full-time employment? Another curriculum-based storybook I found on the shelf showed a black teen serving popcorn to a white family at the movie theater. Half our class is comprised of African-American children and I wonder if the subtle messages in these images will affect them. Furthermore, what are these books conveying to readers?

I'm not an elitist as my family is mainly working-class, so I have nothing against anyone's way of living. I am against setting low expectations for children because of their race and background. I looked at the sticker on each book and noticed that it came from a special grant. From my understanding, Title 1 schools receive funding because they have low literacy rates as some students come from families who don't offer academic support in the home. Basically, I see all this as "CHILDREN AT THIS SCHOOL NEED NOT WORRY ABOUT BECOMING ARTISTS, DOCTORS, BUSINESSMEN, OR LAWYERS. LEARN HOW TO READ SO THAT YOU CAN GET A JOB."

With the class issue, maybe this was the publisher's effort to reduce marginalization rather than enforce it. Perhaps they wanted to pick jobs children could identify their parents in? A little girl proudly announced that her dad was a construction worker. I am offended by the three different publishing companies who did not feature Asian-looking characters in their books, who instead mirrored Hollywood by making the black man a crossing guard multiple times.

4 comments:

  1. I really liked your comment about not standing "over a girl watching Sleeping Beauty and point out the negatives messages she's receiving." I feel that there is a time and a place for these conversations, as you pointed out with the Santa Clause example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, I like you would not want to stand over my children explaining deeper social implications of watching a cartoon. However, the subliminal messages are insidious. The baffling part is that while most young girls grow up to be well-adjusted women, these messages can and do have a detrimental effect on female self-identity of many. Why not provide storylines that promote a powerful, positive self-image for girls and young women?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana, I so feel what you're saying! When we still had TV my husband let my son watch whatever was on one of the channel we deemed appropriate one day because he was sick. He watched a show that seemed pretty well-balanced until I noticed something: the low-level servant employees of one of the characters were all Hispanic! WHAT?!?! Are we not beyond this? My son didn't even notice, and I think that bothered me just as much. I pointed it out and my son thought I was making a fuss over nothing. But it really bothered me.

    I'm much happier now that we don't have TV. Now the battles are about video games, but at least they don't come with commercials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally see your frustration at the racial bent displayed in the classroom and also hate to think that low expectations are being set due to a person's race or background. Isn't it interesting that we, as adults, notice these things that kids most likely don't. While I would hope that kids are proud of their parents regardless of what occupation they're in, I think as teachers we will just need to be sure to stock our classroom libraries with literature that shows all people in a positive, successful light. When's Amy going to circulate that book list from her MGRP?!

    ReplyDelete