Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Stirred Up Reactions!

The introduction to an article on multimodal literacy evoked some strong memories and opinions from me. It talked about the need to present information through various forms for our 21st century learners. There was even a survey conducted in classroom in which most children prefered to watch TV or get on the computer after school. Unfortunately, I enjoy my daily dose of "screen time", too. As a famous school of ed. professor stated, "Teachers have to compete with ________________." Fill in the blank with whatever the hottest fad is (xbox, rock band, Wii). Sadly, I also learn best when my senses are activated, so my professors are competing with Dancing with the Stars. The author's emphasis on technology reminded me of my nephew's teacher last year. The individual refused to use any kind of equipment or visual aids besides the whiteboard. Even with that, he only wrote questions from the book and the daily schedule. The only time students used technology was to watch DVDs of the Andy Griffith show. This teacher retired because of health problems and I am sad to see a role model depart from that high-needs school. However, this individual needed to leave the teaching field if s/he wasn't even willing to meet students half way. Imagine a doctor trying to practice medicene if she refused to use the latest treatment to cure her AIDS patients... why is she still working at the hospital? I come off as harsh, but I'm being real here. Being a teacher requires me to be open-minded about acquiring new skills or changing methods if it means helping my students learn more effectively.

From an academic perspective, I can't form any opinions on the immigrant article yet. Did anyone think the article to be outdated? Perhaps no one else has written on this matter, so kudos to her for discussing it! I find it extremely important that teachers read about the struggles of child immigrants. The majority of people in the teaching force do not represent a minority or immigrant group, which may cause misunderstandings in the classroom. From a personal standpoint, I do think the author made many valid points and I will take into consideration some of the advice she gave. However, I was thoroughly distracted by some of her statements. Were they outlandish to just me? To protect this author's privacy, I won't be scanning my notes of indignation I've written on the margins. Instead, I'll be speaking up within the confines of my own class next Monday.

6 comments:

  1. I felt the same way on the immigrant article. I didn't even touch upon it in my post because I had a sea of emotions about it that I couldn't begin to think through. I like your story about your nephews teacher. I think this is so common for teachers. They get in their comfort zone and use one piece of technology and call it a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it will be to hard to win the competition over the xbox with all of the knowledge we have gained thus far. I feel prepared to bring the heat! I love technology, but I also love traditional ways of doing things. I will incorporate both in my classroom by keeping a nice balance. As for the immigrant article, I found it helpful since I know nothing about being an immigrant. I had no idea how hard it would be for a young child. I thought her ways of teaching seemed to be similar to the ways of teaching special needs children. I didn't find anything crazy about it, but maybe I missed some things. Maybe we could talk about it Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im interested to hear your critique of the immigrant article. I like the methods she used with working with the kids, but I am curious if you are more frustrated with her observations, insights or methods. Can't wait to hear.
    As for the technology. I feel that I am lost in between the generations of technology. People assume that I should understand technology but I don't. I wish I could take a course on basic interactive ways to use technology in a classroom because I know I need it in todays world. If you can't keep up you are going to get mulled over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana, you made me laugh out loud! You're so ready for class each day I couldn't imagine you being town between schoolwork and Dancing With the Stars.

    Nicole, I think you'll find it harder than you think to compete with the Xboxes of the world. Once you send kids home you have no control over how they spend their time. I know plenty of parents who check off the little "My Kid Read for 20 Minutes Tonight" box on their homework sheets whether their kids did or not. I think the trick will be to make your teaching as immersive as the games, toys, and TV shows. That doesn't mean you need more screen time at school, you just need to capture their attention and do your best during the school day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! I agree that the competition for attention is fierce, and we'll need every tool we can get our hands on to keep our class not only interested and motivated but also in touch with the technology that they are becoming so adapt at using. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about "The Silent Stage". I found some of her thoughts to be outlandish, too, and hope that as teachers we are careful to not over-interpret everything that a student chooses to write or draw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana, you made some very valid points. As teachers and professionals, we need to be willing to do whatever it takes to enhance the learning experience for our students!

    ReplyDelete